The ongoing climate change is rapidly increasing concern for global warming, and the widespread depletion of non-renewable energy sources has brought the spotlight to the renewable energy sector.
The renewable industry has become ever-blooming with huge career opportunities and a need for trained professionals worldwide. However, a lack of proper training and guidance puts barriers against those seeking a career in this sector.
Professionals struggle to efficiently conduct financial and risk assessments for renewable energy projects and investment decisions. As a solution, Noviron offers a suitable "Introduction to Renewable Energies" training program with leading industry expert John Massey. Learn every element of the industry, various technologies, and trends, and be prepared for taking your first steps into the renewables business.
Welcome to the world of renewable energy!
Introduction to Renewable Energy is an online training course that provides the foundations of renewable energy and is a perfect introduction for those who are new to the renewable energy market, those seeking a career change, or those who want to learn more about solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, energy efficiency and the basics of energy storage.
Join individuals who have gotten their first taste of renewable energy.
By completing this course, you will:
- Gain a good understanding of the core scientific and technological concepts behind each source of renewable power
- Learn to ‘speak the language’ of renewable power
- Be better placed to converse with others in the renewable power sector from a sound knowledge base.
- Recognize both the pros and cons of each of the renewable power options
- Appreciate the key processes and essential considerations when creating renewable power projects
- Better understand the role of different renewable power sources in future electricity supply mixes, including which factors in evaluating.
- Understand how renewable power impacts the grid and the broader power system, including new opportunities for technologies such as energy storage
- Recognize the key economic variables which determine a renewable power project business case
- Learn which key aspects drive policy and how these, in turn, influence the transition to renewable power
Sign up for our Newsletter
Dr. John Massey is one of the leading experts in the renewable power sector with years of experience teaching and guiding professionals with insider knowledge on this sector. He is the managing director of Grey Cells Energy Ltd., were conducts assessments and risk analysis for clean energy technologies.
He ensures the best learning experience for professionals with one-to-one coaching, online training courses, market briefings, and the business plan and strategy consulting for SMEs to grasp better market opportunities. His recent collaboration with Noviron has made professional training much easier and reasonable for professionals seeking guidance in this sector.
This course is a great first step for a career-focused individual to understand the world of renewable energy possibilities.
Chapter I - Renewable energy resources & principles
- Primary energy resources (scale and scalability, by the numbers)
- Global and local geographic factors
- Defining ‘renewable’ (and contrasting with terms such as ‘sustainable’ or ‘environmental’)
- Understanding and contrasting the ‘variability’ of renewable resources
- Variability, renewable power supply choices and the energy mix
Video training: 18:05 minutes
Chapter II - Solar Photovoltaic (PV)
- Essentials of the solar resource
- PV materials and technology trends
- What makes a solar farm? (from cells to modules, arrays, and other components)
- Innovations around land use
- The other solar power: CSP
Video training: 30:58 minutes
Chapter III - Wind power
- The (basic) math's of converting wind speed to electrical power
- Why wind power is not just about wind speed: wind resource complexities
- What makes a wind turbine? (key components and design elements)
- Wind turbine and technology trends
- Factors determining wind farm layouts
Video training: 20:20 minutes
Chapter IV - Offshore wind (and other ocean energy options)
- Comparing offshore and onshore wind resources
- What is different about an offshore wind farm? (components and construction)
- Divergence in the needs of wind turbines off vs. onshore
- Floating wind
- Tidal and wave power conversion: options and challenges
Video training: 15:38 minutes
Chapter V - Geothermal power
- Distinguishing the resource needs for power from those for heat
- The challenges and cost factors in geothermal resource assessment
- What makes a geothermal power plant? (field and power generation components)
- Operational and resource management considerations
- Alternative approaches to geothermal power
Video training: 17:44 minutes
Chapter VI - Hydropower
- The basic math's of converting water flow to power
- The key resource and project risk considerations
- Hydropower as a source of energy storage
- Scale, scalability and sustainability considerations
Video training: 12:21 minutes
Chapter VII - Biopower
- Segmenting what is meant by ‘biopower’, including solid, liquid and gas fuel options
- Understanding the array of conversion pathways from feedstock to power
- Understanding the array of resource (feedstock) options
- The sustainability challenges of biopower (is it really renewable?)
- Scale and scalability of biopower projects
Video training: 16:40 minutes
Chapter VIII - Renewable power and its system-level impacts
- Power system planning and the variability of renewable resources
- Integrating renewable power into the electricity grid (technical challenges)
- The impact of small-scale, distributed renewable power
- Electricity markets and the changing ‘value’ of renewable power
- System-level influences and outcomes for clean electricity mixes
Video training: 22:38 minutes
Chapter IX - The economic parameters of different renewable power options
- Understanding the essential variables of a profitable power project
- Historical trends in renewable power costs
- The impact of small-scale, distributed renewable power
- How the cost structures of different renewable power options vary
- Levelized cost of electricity (LCOE): what it is, why it is used, and when it should not be
- The key aspects of financial risk for energy investors and policymakers
Video training: 30:57 minutes
Chapter X - Summary: pathways to decarbonised electricity systems
- How decarbonisation through renewable power can improve electricity system outcomes
- Where decarbonisation through renewable power faces the biggest challenges
- Taking a holistic view of energy transition ‘costs’
- One size doesn’t fit all: different pathways for different geographic and market environments
Video training: 10:46 minutes
Very useful video
Very useful videoRead Less
Thank you Noviron, the materials are very helpful and complete, simple but comprehensive for me as a newbie in understanding Renewable Power.
Thank you Noviron, the materials are very helpful and complete, simple but comprehensive for me as a newbie in understanding Renewable Power.Read Less
Good InformationRead Less
This was quite an intensive course that required a significant amount of studying at home. In the end, it was certainly worth the effort after achieving a re...Read More
This was quite an intensive course that required a significant amount of studying at home. In the end, it was certainly worth the effort after achieving a reasonably sound grasp of the subject matter.Read Less
Looks goodRead Less
An excellent introductory course for people with little or no experience in renewable energy.
An excellent introductory course for people with little or no experience in renewable energy.Read Less
Very goodRead Less
I'm surprised by the good quality and content of this course, especially since it comes for free. Can only recommend sharing.
I'm surprised by the good quality and content of this course, especially since it comes for free. Can only recommend sharing.Read Less
I felt the instructor's knowledge and communication skills were excellent. Thanks for putting this together
I felt the instructor's knowledge and communication skills were excellent. Thanks for putting this togetherRead Less
That was a great experience for me to participate in Noviron's training. It opened doors to me in renewable energie field. I highly recommend.
That was a great experience for me to participate in Noviron's training. It opened doors to me in renewable energie field. I highly recommend.Read Less